Random Knowledge MAP Test

Based on the MAP test from NWEA, you must escape the MAP test by finding and answering all 5 questions in a large maze. The prompt behind our games was to be school related, and having just completed MAP testing I thought “Why not?” You are a student character, and you control the character with your up,down,left,right arrow keys. No question will be behind another question, meaning everyone should end up answering them in order from left to right in the maze. The highest score you can get is 5/5 or in MAP test numbers, 350. Then in receding order; 300, 250, 200, 150, 100.

Play in the link below or through the embedded game at the bottom of this post

https://makecode.com/_M7m3RYdgu5o0

One of my challenges when creating the game was that I didn’t know how to formulate the maze. I also thought that I would have to make 30 different question blocks for the player to walk on, but then I realized that I could use randomization for each question. What I ended up with was 6 possible questions for each of the 5 players will walk on (The question you get will be randomized between 1-6, but you will get 5 questions in total). I learned that for most of the challenges I encountered, I was only just overthinking the solution. Another example is when I wanted to have a wall pop up that blocks a player from stepping on the same question tile again. This was an overstep, and I realized all I had to do was switch the tile- although I did like the aesthetic more of the wall.

If I could remake the game tomorrow, I wouldn’t do anything different except make the maze aesthetic nicer. I do wish that there was a “grey” color preset so the game could have been more true to the MAP test, but that was not an option. I think that this was my best option regarding the school theme because although my other idea was a Harry Potter game, it was barely related to school.

3 thoughts on “Random Knowledge MAP Test

1. THAT WAS SO GOOD! I loved playing it and i didn’t know were the maze was going. It was so well done and lots of fun. It was sooooo good. Great job

2. Hi Carolyn,

I really liked this game because it is very complicated. The correct and wrong answer system is very hard to make. The questions are also pretty cool and funny. Overall great game. The only thing I would say is that the questions are a little hard to find. Other than that, this is amazing. There was also a spelling error at the loading screen.

3. Who would have thought that someone could create a compelling game out of the MAP test??? I love the way you really worked to establish the theme and make it feel like the actual test. The only part that still felt a little confusing was that regardless of whether the questions were answered right or wrong, the game continued on the same way. I get that you were tallying them for the end, and logically that makes sense. But while playing it felt a little confusing.

Oh, and by the way… next time ask about the color palette. We could have swapped the colors for a gray palette if you wanted to 🙂 Still can!

Fantastic job, really creative idea and your code is incredibly detailed. In particular, I loved the way there are so many questions, encouraging repeat playing!